Thursday, July 17, 2008

Scott, that ain't no lizard!

Okay, so the title can be interpreted many different ways, so let me quickly explain. In Tortuguero, one of the main things you do is go on these boat rides were you look for all kinds of animals - monkeys, crocodiles, rare birds, iguanas, etc, etc. There are about 20 people in the boat and two guides. Before you leave one of the guides gives you a big speech how it is everyone's responsibility to be on the look out and when you see something you must let the whole group now - we are one big team (imagine a person with a jamaican/costa rican accent - its quite charming).

So we leave the dock are going motoring slowy up the river. I am sitting next to Regan as we putt along in living zone. I notice a "lizard" so I quietly mention and point out to Regan the "lizard".

From behind me I hear this booming jamaican/costa rican voice, "sir, do you see something?"

I respond, "naw, its just some lizard. Its nothing".

"Show me." He commands. I point it out to him and he gets a closer look with his binoculars and he yells. "Holy Cow, that is the Jesus Christ Lizard (its called that because it can walk on water), those are very rare and very difficult to see. You have to tell me these things!" He whipped the boat around, radioed his buddies so they could bring the boats of people over to see it. The entire time I could hear him muddering under his breath "I can't believe he wasn't going to say anything!"



No comments: